Visitors to the sun-drenched island of Barbados are in for a treat this November at the second annual Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival.
In partnership with Travel + Leisure Magazine, Food & Wine, Departures and Executive Travel brands, Barbados unveils the schedule of events for the four-day epicurean extravaganza taking place from November 18 – 21, 2011 at various exquisite settings around the island.
Hosted by Travel + Leisure’s Features Director & Special Correspondent Nilou Motamed, the Festival includes a wide variety of chef demonstrations, tasting events and interactive sessions. Culinary masters at this year’s events include Tom Colicchio, Marcus Samuelsson, Ming Tsai along with Barbadian culinary sensation, “The Rhum Chef” Paul Yellin as well as Food & Wine wine expert Anthony Giglio. International chefs include Mark McEwan and Tom Brodi of Canada, Bruno Loubet from the United Kingdom and Brazilian chef Vitor Gomes who bring their expertise to the Caribbean.
Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival event highlights include:
- NEW to this year’s line-up is an authentic Bajan lunch expertly prepared at a historic plantation house hosted by Travel + Leisure’s Nilou Motamed.
- Indulge in a Bajan style fiesta while Barbadian renowned Chef Paul Yellin demonstrates how to prepare local dishes while the kids enjoy their own interactive cooking demonstration.
- Tom Colicchio, Ming Tsai, Marcus Samuelsson, Bruno Loubet and Mark McEwan showcase their delectable skills using special cooking techniques and tricks in intimate settings at some of Barbados’ leading hotels and restaurants.
- Wine Expert Anthony Giglio shares tips on entertaining along with his favorite holiday wines for pairing.
- Legendary Chef Tom Colicchio brings his creativity and innovative culinary style to one of the most gorgeous seaside settings, The Cliff restaurant for an evening amidst candlelit conversation, sumptuous cuisine, crashing waves and a panoramic view of the Caribbean Sea.
- Chef Tom Brodi hosts an afternoon of cruising on the world famous “pirate” ship, the Jolly Roger while feasting on locale fare and endless “pirate brew.”
- Explore and savor one of the most iconic and charming rum distilleries in Barbados at the historic St Nicholas Abbey.
The island of Barbados offers the most authentic Caribbean experience with its exceptionally rich culture and history rooted in remarkable landscapes. Rated as one of the world’s sexiest beaches in 2008 by Concierge.com, Barbados’ Crane Beach in St. Philip stands as a premier destination for travelers. Barbados is also the first Zagat-rated Caribbean island with numerous internationally renowned chefs who masterfully put signature spins on local delicacies and traditions.
Barbados is an ideal stage for world-class events and in collaboration with American Express Publishing Corporation, Barbados has hosted its first annual Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival in November 2010. The country has also hosted numerous athletic championships, including the 2006 PGA World Golf Championships-Barbados World Cup, the ICC Cricket World Cup Finals in 2007, the Sentebale Charity Polo match with Prince Harry of Wales in 2010, and the ICC Twenty20 Cricket Finals for 2010.
Accommodations range from picturesque plantation houses and villas, to quaint bed and breakfasts and award-winning, five-star resorts. Grantley Adams International Airport offers even more non-stop and direct service from a growing number of U.S. cities via Jet Blue and American Airlines, making Barbados the true gateway to the Eastern Caribbean.
Barbados was voted eighth in the World by Trip Advisor’s ‘2008 Travelers Choice Destination Awards’ in its Top 100 Destinations category. For more information on travel to Barbados, visit their website, follow on Facebook, via Twitter @Barbados or contact the Barbados Tourism Authority at 1.800.221.9831.
About American Express Publishing Corporation
American Express Publishing Corporation produces authoritative lifestyle content that empowers affluent, primed consumers – and the businesses that serve them – to make informed decisions. We tell customers where to fly, what to try, and what to buy next.
Through the lens of four multi-media brands — Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, Departures, and Executive Travel — content is available in print, digital, on-air, in branded books, through membership clubs, events, and throughout 25 countries and in 9 languages.
Our Custom Media division uses the resources of American Express Publishing to create multi-platform content under individual client brand names. American Express Publishing is a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Express Company. Follow us on Twitter @amexpublishing.
Barbados Media Contact: Kara Hoffman, The Brandman Agency, (212) 683-2442, email@example.com
American Express Publishing Media Contact: Rachael Chappa, American Express Publishing, (212) 642-1972, Rachael.firstname.lastname@example.org